Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rewards in the Classroom


In class, we touched on the topic of rewards for students. I found it quite interesting as the debate is still out on rewards in the classroom.  Some might say that rewards encourage children to be a greater part of their community (classroom), while others say that children should not be dependent on rewards as good behaviour is expected. Rather than debating these two opinions, I am going to state how I feel.  I love rewards! 

Rewards fall into 2 categories: group and individual.  I plan on incorporating both into my classroom environment.  Here are my definitions of each:

Group Rewards: Given to the entire class for completing a specific task, such as listening well, helping others, and keeping the classroom tidy. The class works together to accomplish a common goal.

Individual Rewards: Given to a specific person for doing something that has been noticed, such as showing marked improvement (on tests/sportsmanship) or completing a specific task (reading 25 books as a part of a class reading program.)  I look at these rewards as a way to encourage progress.

Rewards can have pros and cons. On one hand, rewards can encourage teamwork and responsibility, while on the other hand it can single students out if not done correctly.  If a child is singled out, this is a detriment not a benefit.

When I was in Elementary School, I cannot recall any of my teachers allowing me to choose a prize due to good behaviour nor do I remember teachers throwing class parties because the class filled a marble jar (or a teddy bear jar depending on the grade). I do, however, remember one teacher that would send home encouragement cards when students improved on their unit tests. I was one of these students. I remember the joy I felt when receiving a card from my teacher; I still have these cards.  Athough I remember having a special feeling in Grade 6 when I received these cards, I have a greater appreciation now knowing that my teacher wanted to see me succeed.

As for the actual rewards... cards, candy, pencils, balls, anything goes!  There are so many goodies to choose from.  I foresee me having a special treasure box that is filled with pens, pencils, stickers, balls, hair accessories, erasers, and more.  Candy?  I am not opposed to candy, but do think that teachers need to be respectful to the families that do not want their children to have added sugar.  If the parents were alright with candy, it would only be given once in awhile as a special treat and would not be a part of my reward system.  It would be more like: "Have a wonderful weekend Grade 4s. If you would like a gummy worm, please see me after you are packed and ready to leave."  Rewards do not have to be something tangible either.  They can earn a movie day, an extra recess, or a crazy hair day in class.  Be creative.

I am not saying that I disagree with those who do not believe in reward systems.  Teachers are all different and have their own ideas on how they would like to see their classroom.  But, as a parent, I have definitely seen the positive outcomes of reward systems.  My daughters are in Grades 1 and 5, so I have had the opportunity to see several reward systems in action.  Grade 1 began with the teddy bar jars being filled to earn a class party to Grade 5 where the child earns tickets for a prize draw at the end of the week.  I witness the happiness in my childrens' voice and face when they tell me about their prize day.  I also look at rewards as a teachable moment.  For instance, when my Grade 1 tells me something happened at school where bears were taken out of the jar, it is the perfect time to talk to her about why she thinks that happened.  I believe the outcome is more positive than negative! 

 I am well aware that reward systems do not work for all children.  There will still be the child who has to take bears out of the jar or the child who does not really mind if they do not receive tickets.  Imagine how a child might feel if he is always taking out bears from the jar, but then he gets to add some bears for good listening during carpet time.  Or, the girl who doesn't mind not getting tickets until she earned one and it was actually drawn from the jar. 

Rewards foster teamwork, sense of accomplishment, and commitment.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marci,

    After our conversation in class I talked to a mother who has a child with Autism. She said the new Teacher's Assistant was working on a point system.

    It also reminds me of something I read once about parenting: "it's okay to use rewards if it helps your child reach a milestone..." I can't remember who said that, but the sentiment stayed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Marci. I have worked in Out of School Care for a few years and we have always done group reward systems. Some groups have responded better than others to this system but overall it has affected the behaviour in a positive way. Now, I am working as a Supported Child Development Worker with a 6 year old with emotional and behavioural challenges. We are using a sticker chart to encourage polite interaction with other children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol... That is so interesting you mentioned reading about parenting and the issue of rewards to reach milestones. I went to a parenting seminar and the host mentioned this, too. I would be interested in hearing about the point system.

    ReplyDelete