Friday, October 7, 2011

English Language Arts Curriculum & My Students





How does the IRP help and/or hinder you as a beginning teacher?  Description of who today's ELA students are and how they learn.

If I was asked to describe what English Language Arts K-7 would be like for me as a new teacher, here is what I would say:

English Language Arts K-7 is like learning to walk.  Both require a steady progression and both include hurdles along the way.

I often wondered why teachers put in countless hours to prepare their lesson plans, to decorate their classroom, and to have open communication with parents/caregivers.  After reading the Ministry of Education's Integrated Resource Package (IRP), it became clear to me.  Teachers work countless hours because the IRP is an overview of what is expected of teachers and students.   While I feel that the IRP offers wonderful benefits to teachers, I also feel that the IRP lacks important information that concerns the hurdles that teachers will encounter especially when dealing with children at high risk.

English Language Arts Curriculum

The Ministry of Education feels strongly that “all the languages arts (speaking, listening, reading, viewing, writing, and representing) are interrelated and interdependent" (ELA IRP, 2006, p. 15).  With this in mind, I appreciate how the English Language Arts (ELA) Curriculum Organizers are broken down into three main areas: speaking & listening, reading & viewing, and writing & representing.  Each section includes Prescribed Learning Outcomes (PLOs) which are presented in a precise and clear manner.  This will allow me to easily and quickly refer to the IRP to make sure that I am providing my students with quality material that will enable them to complete each objective. 

To ensure that students gain experience in each area, teachers are responsible for engaging their students with exciting lesson plans and activities.  The IRP allows teachers to be creative and imaginative with how they address their lessons which will allow me to provide unique and meaningful learning experiences.  Even though this appears overwhelming at first glance, the thought of being able to create my own lesson plans is very refreshing and I can see how I will be working well after school hours. 

In addition to learning outcomes and freedom of creativity, the IRP offers assessment tools that can be used throughout the school year, specifically, the Zone of Proximal Development.  This assessment tool encourages teachers to challenge their students learning abilities if they are ready and as such, “it is where learning can be supported most effectively and extended with strategies that are new and challenging, but not so challenging that they become frustrated" (ELA IRP, 2006, p. 18).  The Zone of Proximal Development is a wonderful way to determine a student's progression as teachers can ensure they are aware of the PLOs for the current grade they are teaching as well as the PLOs for the grade lower and the grade higher.  This system will help by giving me insight on what areas my students need more attention in as well as which areas my students are excelling in.  If I notice that a high number of students are lower in one area, it might be that my instruction/lesson plan is not geared towards their grade and/or level.  Not only would the Zone of Proximal Development assess the students, but it would also assess my teaching style and lessons.  Once assessed, I can than make adjustments where needed.

The IRP also expresses the beneficial use of Voice and Choice in the classroom.  Voice and Choice is a technique in which students have a say in what they learn and how they learn.  Although the IRP mentions that "this would benefit those with special needs" (ELA IRP p. 26), I strongly feel that all students would benefit from the opportunity to voice what they would like to learn and/or choosing how they learn.  Not only would this allow students to feel that they are being heard in the classroom, but it would also allow me to understand each student's needs on an individual basis.  I grew up during the time when "teachers spoke, students listened." Imagine what a positive environment it would be if children felt that they were allowed to openly and freely express themselves. 

While the IRP will greatly help me with knowing what students must learn in order to be prepared for the next grade, it does not take into account the various issues that children bring to the classroom.  As my goal is to work in an "inner city" school, this concerns me.  In a class of 25, I might have at least 5 children who will need extra assistance due to a disability and/or lack of family support.  The IRP states that "language is fundamental to thinking, learning, and communicating with others" (ELA IRP, 2006, pg. 3).  My question is, “Then how do new teachers ensure they are offering their students a quality experience if there are obstacles blocking the progression of thinking, learning, and communicating?”  While the IRP is an excellent reference for new and experienced teachers, there is little information concerning how teachers actually achieve learning goals in certain situations.  Teachers are responsible for preparing their students for the next grade.  If they have not met their grade level expectations, the following school year might be more challenging for them. 
Furthermore, there is limited information on time management and lesson planning.  New teachers will learn by creating their own lesson plans which helps them to gain experience in the classroom.  The IRP acts more like a teaching guide, so that teachers will learn from their mistakes as well as from their successes.  While it is exciting to be given the freedom of creativity and imagination with lesson planning, I am somewhat fearful of the various issues that might be presented in my class. 
My Students
I envision my classroom to be filled with children exhibiting a wide range of abilities.  "In Canadian classrooms today, children from a wide range of cultural backgrounds come together to learn language arts and literacy" (Constructing Meaning, p. 43).  This is to be expected as in British Columbia there is a multicultural presence throughout the province.  With this in mind, I expect classrooms to be filled with a diversity of children with a multitude of individual needs and backgrounds, such as socioeconomic, ethnicity/religion, various learning abilities/special needs, and family life issues. 
In each classroom, student's learning styles will be different.  Therefore, various teaching methods utilizing visual, auditory, kinesthetic, and tactile stimulus should be used to cater to the children's learning preferences.  A wide range of learning opportunities will be offered, so that each student is successful in school.  Furthermore, including Language Arts in all areas of teaching would ensure that children get valuable experience with speaking, listening, reading, viewing, writing, and representing.  Lesson plans should include many methods of teaching, such as literacy centres, dramas, choral reading, and novels.  In order to keep students engaged, fun and exciting lessons are essential. 
Even when classrooms are filled with interesting lesson plans and engaged children, situations will occur that might affect the student's learning such as bullying.  I aim to provide a safe environment for my students, but I am aware of how children can treat one another.  I will create lesson plans that focus on respect and teamwork.  If a situation should occur, it will be dealt with immediately.  I feel strongly about bullying as my daughter endured a silent bully situation and I saw how much it affected her during and after school hours.  I also saw how the teachers handled the situation and how much it meant to my daughter.
Even with the benefits and hurdles of the IRP as well as the diversity of children in my class, I welcome the challenge as I will also be learning how to be a more effective teacher. 


Resources:
British Columbia Ministry of Education. English Language Arts, Kindergarten to Grade 7: Integrated Resource Package. 2006.
Joyce Bainbridge, Rachel Heydon et al. Constructing Meaning: Balancing Elementary Language Arts. Fourth Edition. Nelson Education Ltd.: 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment