Saturday, September 17, 2011

What does Language Arts in the classroom look like and sound like to me?



If I was asked this question 15 years, my answer would be that Language Arts is all about reading, writing, and memorizing.  The teacher tells you what you need to learn and you do it.  However, the question is how do I see Language Arts today.  For me, Language Arts is all about communication.  Communication includes many avenues, such as reading, writing, speaking, and visualizing.  My goal (when I am a teacher) is to be creative when I teach a lesson.  In other words: Think out of the box rather than stuck in the "old school" ways in which I was taught.  And, to take advantage of all of the tools that might be available to me without forgetting one important word: Balance. 

I love visiting classrooms as I get a feel for what the children will be learning and how they will be learning.  The first thing that I take notice of is the room layout.  Can the children easily move around?  Is it a comfortable setting?  Next, I notice the artwork and learning aides that are on the walls and bulletin boards.  Are they cheerful, fun, and exciting?  Do the students have their art on the walls/bulletin boards?  Finally, I scan the room to see what learning tools will be used, such as books, journals, overheads, and televisions.  Are there devices that I need to learn how to use?  How can certain tools be incorporated?

In addition to viewing the classroom, I listen to how the teachers communicate with their class and how the class communicates with each another.  Is it a positive environment?  Are the students engaged?  I was pleased to witness on several occasions that the students were interacting with the teacher and with one another.  It was not all about questions and answers. 

On a more personal experience with Language Arts in the classroom, I visited my daughter's Grade 1 class for "Meet the Teacher" night.  I was literally blown away when her teacher showed us on her Digital Overhead what the Grade 1s would be learning.  First, I was excited about the Digital Overhead as I had never seen one.  Next, I was excited to see how the children would be learning to read and how the teacher had altered her lesson plan to do so.  When the teacher explained her Language Arts program to us, I could hear the excitement in her voice.  If I could detect this excitment, imagine how exciting it might be for five and six year olds who are like sponges and absorb what they see and hear.  What a positive learning environment!

I love visiting classrooms because it gives me a better idea of how I would like to see my room and how I would like to be as a teacher.  If I was asked how I imagined my classroom to look, my answer would be this:
My classroom would be cheerful.  I would ensure that the bulletin boards were of my students' artwork, the walls would include learning aides such as posters, and I would incorporate all the available technology that my school had to offer.  Depending on the school and grade, I envision myself having a "reading" corner where we would all sit and listen to stories, learn math, and share with one another.  This corner would be where the heart of learning takes place.

I am very much looking forward to learning how to incorporate Language Arts in all areas of education.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Blogosphere! It is wonderful that you have been able to be the fly on the classroom wall; and how exciting that you have this rich background to bring to our classes.

    Looking forward to learning with you!

    ReplyDelete