Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Juggling Mom



As a mom in school, I feel like I am doing a juggling act all the time: My school work, my family, and my sense of self.

I began my endeavor to teaching three years ago because I had to upgrade my year one university courses.  When I began, I was asked the same question over and over: "How do you do it with young children at home?"  Ironically, I am still asked this question today and my answer is the same:

"The struggles that come along with being in school and having a family is temporary, while the happiness I will feel as a teacher will last a lifetime."

Of course, this isn't always easy.  Being a Mom is a "jack of all trades."  Moms take on many roles: nurse, taxi, teacher, psychologist, house cleaner, chef, tutor, answering service... you get the idea. :)  When I began upgrading my courses, my children were 2 and 6.  At this time, I was also a pre-school teacher, but it worked out beautifully because I arranged it where my toddler could be in my class for the last 30 minutes.  She was in a pre-pre school program with my friend as the leader.  I know there isn't "pre-pre school" but I like the name. :-)  As years progressed, I was still in classes but instead of working in pre-school, I chose to be in my daughters' school to gain experience in the classroom setting and to learn from their teachers.  I am now in university full time.  So, how do I do it?
  • I am very fortunate that I have a supportive husband that altered his work schedule in order to help me with drop offs and pick ups as well as giving me extra study time. 
  • I try to complete as much work as I can at school.
  • I always allow special time with my daughters.  We will do things together, but we also have one-on-one time.
  • We always have dinner together and talk about how our day went.
  • If my girls would like to help with with a project, I always find something for them to do.  By helping, I am referring to finding scissors, choosing my notebook colour, giving me their ideas, etc...
  • I have the opportunity to test things out on my children, too.  Children are the best critics!  And, mine will definitely tell me if they don't care for my idea.
  • I have to be well organized.  This is the most difficult because on top of my school work, I have to organize their school work: signatures on their reminders, sending things to school, packing library books, making lunches, helping with homework, the list goes on and on.
  • I created a new way of organizing dinners as it was getting pretty overwhelming with having to decide 7 meals a week.  The girls each have a day where they actually choose what we are having for dinner (Tuesdays and Thursdays).  Friday is Games Night, so we always have fun food: easy!  Sunday is always a nice family meal (think roast).  Monday and Wednesday are anything goes as the girls are both in swimming.  Leftovers are a Mother's best friend!
  • I make sure my girls see their friends and are a part of an out of school activity.  My girls are in an actual swim club.  It puts more work on me as they require parent involvement, but I make it work. 
  • I am active in my childrens' school.  This allows me to see them more as they enjoy it when I am in their classrooms.  I am very lucky!  
  • To keep sane, I have to make time for myself.  I enjoy walking my dog 4.5 miles a few times a week because it gives me "me time."  I ensure that I meet friends for a coffee on my off days as friendships are very important to me.
  • Have I mentioned my wonderful husband? :-)
  • Finally, I just do it! 
If there's a will there's a way.  We just need to look deep inside ourselves to figure out what works best for us.  It hasn't been easy as I am exhausted most days, but I can get through it.  My biggest upset was missing my daughters first day of school this year: Grade 1 and Grade 5.  I had my orientation that day, so I was unable to drive them.  My biggest fear is that I will start missing their special activities in school.  But, I am taking it one day at a time. 

If anyone is wondering if it is worth it to go back to university after 15 years and now have a family, my answer is this: If you truly know that it is something that you are meant to do, you will know if it is worth it.

2 comments:

  1. So true, it is well worth the sacrifices to have a full life. It sounds like a great balance to me and if you are passionate about teaching then it is something to look forward to for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Paula. It is difficult at times, but so worth it. Imagine being in school and actually enjoying it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete