Thursday, November 10, 2011

Writing and Representing vs. Grammar and Spelling



What do I feel is important to teach students about writing and representing?  If I was asked this question ten years ago, I would think back to how I was taught when I was 8 and would respond, “Writing is grammar and spelling.”  It is not surprising that this method did not help me in my future writing experiences as I just focused on the end product.  I was not aware that there was a process to writing.  At times, I still feel like that 8 year old child who needs to write to please the teacher.  While this experience has not made for the most enjoyable experience, it can help me when incorporating my own styles and strategies in my classroom.
But, I am being asked this question now, which is perfect as my thinking has dramatically changed.  When and how did my thinking change?  Simple: When I had children.  Five years ago when my oldest daughter was starting Grade 1, I walked into her classroom for “Meet the Teacher” night.  I was in awe the moment I stepped into the classroom.  Each wall was decorated with artwork that incorporated writing, the carpet centre was filled with calendars, the bookshelves were filled with all levels of books, and on my child’s desk was a journal that my early learner was going to write in!  The only word that came to my mind was, “WOW!”  It was like night and day from when I went to school.  As the years progressed, so did my daughter’s writing.  I have been fortunate to be able to witness various teachers with different teaching styles, but one aspect of writing remained consistent:  Each teacher supported my daughter throughout the writing process.
When thinking about what is most important to teach students about writing and representing, I can imagine an image of my future classroom.  I see students working in groups, I see my classroom walls filled with words and projects, I see children having fun while learning to write, and I see an environment where students can feel and be successful when writing.  I feel that using a myriad of strategies, allowing students to use self-expression, and incorporating meaningful activities and assignments is important when writing and representing. 
Strategies
The IRP states that "learning to write with meaning involves a range of different strategies" (IRP, p. 22).  There are so many strategies to choose from which allows teachers to use their creativity and imagination.  The challenge will be deciding which strategy to use and when to use it most effectively.  In order for strategies to be effective, offering a safe learning environment is crucial.  The IRP states that “teachers should ensure that classroom instruction, assessment, and resources reflect sensitivity to diversity and incorporate positive role portrayals, relevant issues, and themes such as inclusion, respect, and acceptance” (IRP, p. 12).  Once this is established, strategies can be incorporated.
Strategies, strategies, strategies!  When I think about which strategies I could see myself using with my students, I reflect on my ELA class where we discussed strategies ranging from group work to individual to student-teacher.  Group work can be beneficial as someone’s idea might spark an idea in another classmate, while individual strategies are beneficial because they allow students to think more personally.  Student-Teacher strategies, such as Writing Workshops and 6-Trait Writing, can assist children in learning to write with meaning. 
“How can I effectively use the First Steps Writing program in my classroom?” by Jennifer Savage offered many strategies to encourage writing.  I have always felt that when children draw, they are writing.  It was wonderful to read her quote, “For early writers, I believe that drawing their story is as important as the words” (Savage, p. 42).  With this belief, art and literacy can be combined effectively.  Jennifer Savage uses a specific method for herself and her students to keep track of where they are during the writing process.  Popsicle sticks are labeled with the student’s picture.  The child inserts their popsicle stick into the appropriate cup which is marked as to what stage their writing project is in.
In addition to Jennifer Savages methods, incorporating journals to the writing process is a wonderful way for children to begin their writing journey as “When children write in journals, they reflect, reshape, and redraft as they engage in learning” (Constructed Meaning, p. 239).  The foundation of our writing is based on what we, as individuals, can bring into the classroom.  For example, in class we created a journal which I titled "Marci's Journal of Thoughts."  In it, I wrote events, experiences, and feelings from the past.  Once I was done, I shared with the class my entry about my experience moving cross country with 2 cats and a fish... crossing a border, too!  I thought to myself, "What a funny story that could turn into!" If my students are given journaling activities like this, I can only imagine what story ideas that they will come up with.  In class, we discussed the various journal styles, such as think books and double side entry journals. Vicki Spandel supports this by saying that "Writing does not really begin with prewriting, as many diagrams suggest.  It begins with life, our personal experience, and our sense of what is important, what is worth sharing" (6-Trait Writing, p. 140).
Furthermore, the IRP outlines the 5 steps to writing: prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, presenting and publishing (IRP, p. 22).  These 5 steps fit perfectly with Writing Workshops and the 6-Trait Writing program as writing is a process and should not be rushed.  While previous teaching methods focused on the grammar and spelling aspect of writing, Writing Workshops and 6-Trait Writing focuses on creating their own idea without worrying about grammar and spelling.  Editing will occur in the later stages, but the early stages are to explore ideas and how the student is going to work on their project.  Teachers meet with their students one on one to assist as needed.   I am particularly fond of the 6-Trait Writing method as it allows children to be creative in their writing process.  While children will be drafting, writing, revising, writing, and revising some more, they are allowed to choose what they write about.  I also find this method valuable as the teacher will be modeling what is expected of the students.  Children are like sponges.  They absorb what they see.  If a student sees their teacher writing in journals, revising their own written work, and asking the students for feedback, they are going to feel like they can achieve anything.  The IRP supports this by saying, "Teachers model their own writing and invite student input for revision on one trait at a time, thus making achievement manageable" (IRP, p. 25).
Also, I feel the KWHL journal that was discussed in ELA will be an excellent tool for students and teachers.  It is a journal entry where students list what they already know (i.e. about writing a story) and what they would like to know (i.e. about writing a story).  Students have the opportunity to inform the teacher of what they would like to learn and teachers benefit as they can now address new learning tools and ideas.
Self-Expression
Once we have an array of strategies, we can focus on encouraging students to explore self-expression.  I feel that children should understand that writing is unique to each individual and should reflect who they are as a person.  This can be done in many ways, though I am partial to the Voice and Choice ideology that is outlined in the IRP.  "Voice and Choice" refers to allowing students to have a voice in what they would like to learn as well as being offered choices (IRP, p. 26).  While I understand that certain assignments will have guidelines, I feel that it would be beneficial to have assignments where the students can choose which writing style they would like to pursue, what topic they would like to write about, and how they would like to work on their assignment.  The idea of Voice and Choice fits perfectly in the debate of “mimicking” other writers.  In ELA, we read the novel, Love that Dog, by Allison Creech.  Even though it is a fictional story about an understanding teacher and a boy who does not see himself as a writer, I have learned so much.  In this novel, the teacher encourages her student to write what he wants to write.  You can see the progression of the student copying poetry styles and making it his own. 
Teachers can offer many opportunities for students to feel successful at writing.  This opens the door by allowing students to experience the many styles of writing and representing.  I feel that students should be given literature in which they can use to enhance their own words and where they draw from their personal experiences.  In ELA, we discussed the issues that revolved around “mimicking” other writer’s work.  For instance, what if a student loves a particular writing style but is told that he/she was not allowed to experiment with that style?  Now, imagine if that student is allowed to create his/her own story with using that writing style.  By allowing students to “mimic” a particular writing style, a student can gain confidence and, in doing so, might spark the student’s own ideas.  In order for success to happen, teachers should "encourage exploration and help students find their own voices" (Creative Writers, p.12).  The BC Curriculum agrees as the Prescribed Learning Outcome C3 focuses on “using a variety of imaginative writing that is modelled from literature” (IRP, p. 57).
Activities and Assignments
While strategies help with starting the writing process and self-expression aides in the students understanding that they are unique, it really boils down to how we engage as teachers through classroom activities and assignments.  “If we want the students in our classroom to be critically aware, discuss ideas, and get excited about what they are learning, they need to read material that will both interest them and engage them in reading and writing for real life purpose” (Constructing Meaning, p.225). 
In class, we have discussed many ideas on how to encourage students to write and represent and there are several ways that I would incorporate them in my classroom.  First, I love including books to lessons.  One simple book can become an entire unit that incorporates the 6 strands of language arts: speaking, listening, reading, viewing, writing, and representing).  Second, my classroom will have a class mascot, such as White Fang that was discussed in Seminar class.  Sending a student home with a class mascot and journal to write in is a fun way to get the students to represent (i.e. draw what they are writing), read (read their entry to the class), write (writing sentences to describe what the class mascot did), listen (students listen while the journal is being read), and speak (class discussion about the journal).  Third, I am a strong supporter of children’s art and assignments decorating the room as children feel a sense of accomplishment when they see their work on display. There are so many activities and assignments that can engage students. While I mentioned three, there are so many more writing and representing activities that can engage children: classroom blog, classroom newsletter, and drama.  If I have learned anything from the courses I have taken this term, it is that creativity is a teacher's best friend.  As teachers, we are given the opportunity to provide fun and exciting lessons in our classroom!  I cannot think of anything more exciting than that!
Wrapping Up
Reid, Schultze, & Peterson believe that "writing is learned in the act of writing with the support of a knowledgeable teacher" (IRP, p.22).  What defines a knowledgeable teacher?   For me, a knowledgeable teacher is one who is not afraid to try new strategies in order to engage their students, one who will not revert back to "old school" ways, and one who understands that each student learns differently.  To assist teachers in ensuring that their students get the most enjoyable experience in writing and representing, the BC IRP focuses on 4 areas: purpose, strategy, thinking, and feature (IRP, p. 5).  By including these areas in my classroom, I am confident that I can create an environment where children will feel most successful.
The most important thing to teach children about writing and representing is to find a strategy that works for them and to always be themselves.  By using many strategies, encouraging self-expression, and providing engaging activities and assignments, students will have the chance to be successful in their writing experiences.  Vicki Spandel writes, "Any vision of success in writing must reflect classroom culture and embrace both product and process" (6-Trait Writing, p.12). 
This blog would not be complete without my favourite quote from Georgia Heard, “We must learn to listen to our own images, thoughts, and feelings – and to our students” (Awakening the Heart, p. 3).

---------------------------------

Scarecrow colouring and word picture (image at the beginning of this blog entry) was done by my youngest daughter who is in Grade 1.  I would like to mention that the Scarecrow story was about a boy scarecrow.  My daughter was not happy about this as scarecrows can be girls, too.  I was very impressed that her teacher allowed her to change the "his" to "her" and the "he" to "she."  This allowed my daughter to make her picture story more meaningful to her.  Eighteen scarecrows filled the bulletin board outside of their classroom... 17 boy scarecrows and 1 girl scarecrow.  The end result = a very happy 6-year-old (and Mom)!

References:
British Columbia Ministry of Education. English Language Arts, Kindergarten to Grade 7: Integrated Resource Package. 2006.
Joyce Bainbridge, Rachel Heydon et al. Constructing Meaning: Balancing Elementary Language Arts. Fourth Edition. Nelson Education Ltd.: 2009.
Georgia Heard. Awakening the Heart. Heinemann. 1999.
Jennifer Savage. “How can I effectively use the First Steps Writing program in my classroom?”
Spandel, Vicki. (2009). Creating writers through 6-trait writing: Assessment and instruction (5th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Great inclusion of strategies Marci! I like how you've included detail on a bunch of them and included how they can be incorporated into the classroom. I also love how your daughter wanted to make a girl scarecrow. She likes to think outside the box :)

    ReplyDelete