Thursday, November 17, 2011

In My ELA Classroom...



As the last blog for my ELA class, I was asked the following questions:  How do I envision my ELA classroom, how will my students and I experience oral/written language, and how has this changed since my first blog post.  If I were to sum up how I would teach ELA to my students, I would refer to my quote posted under the Repeat the Beat heading: "Imagine, Create, and Have Fun."  Teachers have the ability to do all three.  The PLOs in the IRP give teachers guidelines of what is expected from their students.  It is up to us (the teachers) to create lesson plans that will engage the students, so that all of the PLOs are met.  Thinking about this puts a smile to my face!

In my ELA classroom...

I will ensure that my classroom is filled with:
  • Word walls to encourage reading/spelling.
  • Children's artwork and writing assignments.  
  • Learning aides on the wall, such as calendars, spelling pockets, and additional tools that I find beneficial.
  • A wide array of books for students.  I would love to have a comfy chair or couch in my classroom!
  • Decorations!  By decorations I mean bulletin boards, tooth chart, birthday chart, ABC border, name tags for their cubbies... there is so much that I intend to do with my classroom.  All of these can be used to teach literacy.
I will encourage reading by:
  • Offering many choices. I will have leveled books, but it will not be "set in stone" as to how they are distributed.
  • Encouraging parents to read with their children.  And, there will be a reading sheet form where the books they read are written down (1 per night).  When they read 25 books, they get an award with their name on it which is hung on the wall as a border around the classroom.  The award will follow a theme depending on the grade.  I love apples and crayons, though!  They can also choose a prize from a treasure box.
  • Using many strategies where the students will be involved in reading. I really like the Author's Chair strategy!
  • Having drama presentations where students either write their own parts or memorize through reading.
  • Using supplemental activities such as fun worksheets.
I will encourage writing by:
  • Offering many opportunities to write in journals and think books.
  • Using various strategies such as 6-Trait Writing and Writing Workshops.
  • Incorporating many styles of writing, such as narratives and poems.
  • Allowing students to "copy" a writing style in order to enhance their own learning and creativity.
  • Including a class mascot where the students write a journal entry when the mascot is sent home with them.  These will be put into a book and uploaded to a site, such as Voice Thread.
  • Having fun and exciting writing assignments.
  • Teaching students that writing is a process.  It does not happen right away.
  • Allowing students to use self-expression in their writing.
  • Including books in lesson plans.
My students will:
  • Have a safe environment where they feel comfortable sharing their ideas.
  • Have a say in what they would like to learn and how.  Voice and Choice is the way to go!  It's not about me; it's about the kids.
  • Be engaged as there will always be something new and exciting to learn.

How has this changed since my first blog post?

While my classroom will still entail all that I mentioned on my first blog, I must admit that I am even more excited now to teach ELA!  I initially saw ELA as communication.  This is still true, but on such a higher level.  Literacy in my classroom will be about self-expression and process.  By incorporating strategies, students will be able to experience both.  Before taking this ELA course, I was not sure how my children were being taught Literacy and why things have changed so much (I grew up with the grammar and spelling police.)  I now see exactly where the teachers are going with their teaching styles and I am impressed. 

What kind of teacher would I like to be?

 I would like to be the teacher where students feel comfortable coming to me when they have questions or need someone to talk to.  I would like to be the teacher where 20 years down the road, a student remembers something I did that made them happy to be in my class.  I say this as I remember several of my teachers.  In fact, I recently sent a letter to my Grade 7 English teacher (that is what it was called at my Jr. High) just to let her know that she made a difference.  I think of all of the wonderful teachers I have had and all of the wonderful teachers my children have had and hope that I can be a little bit of each of them. 

I am often asked if I am nervous about teaching.  I'm not nervous at all.  In fact, I am excited as I know this is where I am meant to be.  When I am in front of a class, I feel like I am in my zone.  Imagine working in an environment where you feel you belong.  I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I want to be a student in your future classroom! Your love and enthusiasm for teaching shines through your words in this blog post and I know that your future students will be hooked on their ELA lessons! I especially like the idea of incorporating a comfy chair or couch to encourage reading. I also think that your many strategies will make ELA fun, educational and inspiring to students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rosemary! Your vision of your ELA classroom has me wishing that you were my teacher when I was in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete